You might think that brushing your golden retriever is for grooming purposes only, but that isn’t true! Brushing your pet can make your bond with them stronger, plus it will feel like a massage for them.
Do golden retrievers need to be brushed?
If you’ve ever owned one, you’ll know that golden retrievers shed quite a lot. To prevent that from happening so much, you can keep their coat healthy by brushing it regularly.
With that in mind, here’s the best brush for golden retriever 2020: brushing can be fun and comfy! We’ve also included four alternatives so you can start grooming your pet in the best way.
Best Brush For Golden Retriever – Reviews & Buying guide for 2020
Best Overall: FURminator Undercoat Deshedding Tool for Dogs
This is the best grooming brush for dogs with long hair. If you’ve heard of FURminator brushes, you’ll know they’re highly rated, and there are good reasons for this.
- Release button
- Skin guard
- Curved-edge design
- For the ultimate convenience, this FURminator brush has a button that releases hair to prevent shedding.
- It’s comfortable for your golden retriever, because it has a skin guard that glides over the skin without digging into it.
- The brush also has a curved edge that ensures it can move over your pet’s contours with ease.
- It’s got a stainless deShedding edge. This is not just durable but it enables you to dig deeper than the top coat of fur so you can remove loose hair without being uncomfortable for your pet or damaging his or her topcoat. This is important because your golden retriever has a double coat and you want to groom it properly.
- Some people who have purchased this grooming brush have reported that it is a little heavy and you can only use it to brush your pet’s fur in one direction. But that might not be a problem for you once you get the hang of it.
- It’s only suitable for dogs with long hair, although as a golden retriever owner that’s not a drawback for you!
- This brush has an ergonomic handle so it’s comfortable for you while at the same time making your golden retriever feel massaged and relaxed. Perfect for a bit of quality time with your pooch!
- Its Edge Guard feature protects the brush’s teeth when in storage, making it a durable and long-lasting brush.
This FURminator is cost-effective and will last you a long time, while ensuring that when you groom your pet you maintain the health of his or her luxurious fur.
Runner Up: Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
If you have golden retrievers and other dog breeds at home, you might want a more versatile brush that you can use on all of them. This one by Hertzko is worth checking out.
- Perfect for all dog breeds
- Retractable bristles
- Thumb rest
- This brush removes knots, tangles, trapped dirt, dander and loose hair in a gentle way.
- It works on all dog and cat breeds, regardless of their hair type.
- The last thing you want to do is accidentally scratch your pet, but this brush prevents that from happening because of how it contains fine, bent wire bristles that penetrate the fur coat without scratching your pet’s skin.
- You don’t want to hassle with trying to remove all the hair from the brush after your grooming session, right? This brush is really easy to clean because it has a button you can press to retract the brush’s bristles. No mess, no fuss.
- It comes with a convenient thumb rest to help you feel more in control during the grooming process, while making brushing your dog feel comfortable for him or her.
- Some people who have purchased this brush for their pets have reported that the bristles are a bit sharp. That’s something to bear in mind if your pet has sensitive skin or has short fur.
- The button you have to press to retract the bristles is sometimes hard to push.
- This brush is not only comfortable for your pet but you too, thanks to how it has an anti-slip handle and comfortable grip.
This brush is a cost-effective and convenient option if you want to start grooming your pets but don’t want to spend a lot of money. Plus, since it’s versatile for use on all types of dogs, it will go the distance.
Alternative: Pet Neat Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
This slicker brush is quite similar to the previous one we featured, but it does have some important features you should know about, like how it covers a large surface area of your golden retriever’s coat.
- Fine bent wires
- Retractable bristles
- Fast and effective
- This Pet Neat brush contains fine bent wires so that you can penetrate your pet’s coat without hurting him or her.
- This brush comes with a button you can press to retract its bristles. This makes removing collected hair a breeze.
- You can use this brush with one hand to gently but effectively remove a variety of nasties from your pet’s fur, such as burrs, weeds, dirt, and dander.
- The brush covers a large surface area, so you can work quickly. This is especially beneficial if your pet fidgets while you groom them. If your dog’s not used to being brushed, this product will take the stress out of the experience.
- One of the drawbacks of this brush is that you have to keep the button pressed during use to ensure the bristles are not retracted.
- The button can be difficult to press.
- You can use it on short-, medium-, and long-haired pets.
This brush is worth purchasing for how it’s large and will enable you to groom your pet quickly and effectively. However, it’s worth bearing in mind the button-related issues that have been noted by people who have purchased it.
Alternative: Pet Neat Pet Grooming Brush
This grooming brush has a steel blade while also being super easy to clean. Here’s what you need to know about why it’s the best brush for golden retriever shedding.
- 100mm stainless steel blade
- Detachable head
- Easy to grip
- This brush is durable, thanks to its stainless steel blade that has a cover for safety. The blade is also resistant to rust so it will last a long time.
- It has a strong yet easy-to-grip handle to make it easier to use.
- It works quickly – you’ll be able to get most of the excess hair within a few minutes, which is a bonus for days when you need to quickly and effectively brush your pet.
- The brush has a detachable head that you can remove with a simple press of the “Quick release” button.
- Some people who have purchased this brush have reported that it didn’t remove much hair from their short-haired dogs.
- It has an ergonomic handle.
- It’s constructed out of hypoallergenic thermoplastic rubber and polypropylene. Since golden retrievers are prone to allergies, this is a huge bonus that would be nice to see on more pet brushes on the market.
Don’t be fooled by its low price. It does the job well and has many features that will make grooming your pet much easier.
Best Brush For Golden Retriever Puppy: Beiker Self Cleaning Pet de-Shedding Brush Set
If you want to groom your puppy, you have to be a bit more careful not to hurt his or her delicate skin. With that in mind, this brush by Beiker is not just a brush but a complete kit to keep your golden retriever puppy’s fur looking great!
- Dual-sided silicone gloves
- Ergonomic brush handle
- Non-slip rubber handle
- This kit contains a dog-shedding brush and gloves.
- You can remove tangles and loose hair within a few minutes with the use of both. The glove will help you to remove excess hair from areas that are difficult to reach, like on the tail.
- The brush has an ergonomic and non-slip rubber handle.
- The brush also has a self-cleaning button and stainless steel blade, so you can remove knots and tangles without hurting your puppy.
- The dual-sided silicone gloves are soft and will make your pet feel pampered. Use them to give your pet a massage while you groom them.
- It’s difficult to clean the fur from the gloves.
- To make receiving this brush even more fun, it comes in a beautiful gift box. This also makes it a fantastic gift for anyone in your life who loves animals.
- This kit contains a free gift – two exquisitely-designed bells for your pets!
This pet grooming kit is a bargain considering everything you get with your purchase. The use of the brush and gloves to remove your puppy’s excess fur makes grooming your pet pooch a much more comfortable and enjoyable experience. This one is the best dog brush for golden retriever puppies that should be in every dog owner’s home.
Golden Retriever Brushes FAQ
If you want to purchase a brush for your golden retriever, it’s important to know what to look for so that you buy one that will make your pet look forward to being groomed.
Grooming your golden retriever should never be something he or she avoids or dislikes. It should be enjoyable, while also having the purpose of keeping their coat and skin healthy and beautiful!
What kind of brush is best for my golden retriever?
Your golden retriever’s coat will be medium to medium-long in length, but some golden retrievers have longer or shorter hair, so make sure you take that into account. You want a brush that will be able to penetrate the surface layer of hair to remove debris, dirt, and loose or tangled hair underneath.
Some golden retrievers experience skin conditions, such as dryness, rashes, or allergies, so you want to ensure that the brush you choose is delicate and skin-friendly.
If your golden retriever already battles with allergies, you want to ensure you choose a hypoallergenic brush, such as the Pet Neat brush we featured on our list of reviews that contains hypoallergenic thermoplastic rubber and polypropylene.
How often should I brush my golden retriever?
You should be brushing your golden retriever’s fur a few times a week to keep their shedding under control. You might have to do this more regularly during the spring and fall when they shed even more.
Regular brushing isn’t just about reducing how much your golden retriever sheds in the home. It will also ensure that your pet’s fur doesn’t become knotted or tangled. You want to prevent this from happening because it can hurt your dog’s skin and lead to issues such as sores or irritation.
Besides for removing excess fur and tangles, you want to ensure you groom your golden retriever regularly so that he or she can benefit in other ways.
These include having healthier fur and skin, having less exposure to allergens that have collected in the fur (such as dust), and also boosting blood circulation. When you brush your dog’s fur, you also help to distribute your dog’s natural oils that ensure their skin and fur remain healthy.
But it’s important to be gentle! You don’t want to accidentally scratch your pet’s skin or cause them discomfort. When they see you with the grooming brush, your dog should be excited not frightened.
That’s why it’s so important to choose gentle brushes, such as the Hertzko brush we featured in our buying guide. It contains fine, bent wire bristles that penetrate your dog’s fur coat but don’t scratch your dog’s skin.
Can you use a human brush?
Although you might think you can use a human brush on your dog, this is where you need to tread with caution. The bristles of a human brush might be too harsh for your dog’s fur and skin. In addition to that, human brushes are built differently than those that are meant for dogs.
Ideally, if you have a large golden retriever you want a dog brush that will be large to cover a wider surface of area in one go, such as the Pet Neat Slicker Brush we featured in our buying guide, and that won’t be achieved with a human brush.
In addition to the above, a slicker brush is usually recommended for brushing your dog so that you can effectively remove knots and tangles, while removing your dog’s loose hair and undercoat. This is essential for dogs with all hair lengths. A human brush won’t be as effective because it’s not built for dogs.
If you really need to brush your dog and you don’t have a grooming brush for them, you could try to use a human brush.
However, it has to be extremely soft and gentle. Again, it’s really not going to be an effective way to penetrate your golden retriever’s thick coat and help to groom them, and it probably won’t feel as nice for them, so it should only be used as a last resort!
Should I brush my golden retriever wet or dry?
Although you might think that brushing your dog’s fur when it’s wet would be more comfortable, it’s actually a bad idea.
You should always brush your dog’s fur when it’s dry as this will make it easier for you to remove matted, tangled hair. If you’ve bathed your dog and want to brush them afterwards, make sure their coat dries before you go ahead for the best results.
If you own a beautiful golden retriever, you want to ensure you purchase the best brush to groom them so that their fur can be healthy and shiny, and you can keep skin conditions at bay.
In these golden retriever brush reviews, we’ve featured five of the best brushes for golden retrievers so you can purchase the right one for you and your dog. Make grooming time happy time!