Have you ever bought your golden retriever a toy and seen their eyes light up?
It’s the best feeling in the world!
Not just fun for them, toys can help your golden retriever to develop skills.
How can toys help your dog?
Your dog will learn skills during playtime, such as foraging and hunting, while toys also help dogs to relieve stress and boredom.
Golden retrievers of all ages will enjoy exciting new toys. They’re especially beneficial for puppies. So, with that in mind, here are the best toys for golden retriever puppies: let them learn and have fun.
Best Toys for Golden Retriever Puppies – Reviews & Buying guide for 2020
Best Overall: Sharlovy Dog Chew Toys for Puppies Teething
When your puppy starts to teeth, he or she will benefit from chew toys so that they don’t attack your shoes and furniture! These chew toys from Sharlovy are the best to purchase. Here’s why.
- Natural rubber toys
- Promotes oral health
- This is not just one toy but a pack of 14 chew toys. The pack includes an IQ treat ball, a rubber dog toothbrush stick, a rubber bone, a frisbee, a banana toy, and nine cotton tug rope dog toys, so there are a range of toys to interest your dog.
- The rubber toothbrush and bone toys have soft spikes so that your dog can soothe their teething pain and get relief.
- As a bonus, these toys are also good for your dog’s oral health. They clean teeth while also removing dental plaque to prevent tooth decay.
- The IQ treat ball will be fun for your dog to use and play with to get snacks. It also makes squeaking sounds that will keep your pet entertained.
- The banana toy is stuffed with crinkle paper and it has a squeaker inside it to make it more fun for your dog to play with.
- Some people who have purchased these toys for their dog have reported that they weren’t very durable. So, if your pooch likes to tear things to shreds, these are probably not the toys for him or her.
- Other people have reported that the toys had a chemical smell. It’s a good idea to air them out and wash them well before giving them to your pet.
- The woven dog toys contain hand-made woven cotton.
- The frisbee and toothbrush toy are made of natural rubber.
This pack of toys for your dog will keep him or her stimulated for hours while also being one of the best chew toys for golden retriever puppies.
Best Puzzle Toys for Golden Retriever Puppies: Nina Ottosson Interactive Puzzle Game Dog Toys
This puzzle for dogs is a fun way for your pet to be challenged while getting treats in the process. Here’s what you should know about it.
- 20 treat compartments
- Various ways to play
- Easy to clean
- This puzzle contains blocks that your dog can flip over or slide out of place to reveal treats underneath, so there are many ways in which your dog can play with it.
- It keeps your dog mentally stimulated and also physically active because he or she has to move the blocks. It’s a great game for when your dog’s got lots of energy and needs to work it off!
- When your dog gets used to playing with these blocks, you can increase the challenge by covering the blocks with their lids. This makes the puzzle last a longer time.
- The plastic bones, which are used to hide the treats for your dog, are removable. Some people who have purchased this puzzle toy have said they’re not of good quality as dogs are able to chew them.
- These puzzle pieces are really easy to clean – just hand wash them with warm, soapy water.
This is one of the best toys for new puppies because it’s a fun challenge that will keep your golden retriever stimulated. It will continue to keep your golden retriever entertained even after they’ve figured out how it works. Just keep hiding yummy treats under the blocks for your pooch!
Best Chew Toys for Golden Retriever Puppies: EETOYS Puppy Teething Toys Dog Chew Toys
While you might find some chew toys for dogs that are part of a pack of other toys, these chew toys are focused solely on giving your dog relief when he’s teething.
If your pup is currently teething and in a lot of discomfort, these chew toys are worth purchasing because they have many health benefits.
- Soft spikes and grooves
- Fresh flavors
- Easy to clean
- These toys contain soft spikes as well as soft grooves in their design. This helps to massage your dog’s gums.
- These toys have a vanilla and mint flavor to keep your dog’s breath fresh. You can even apply some toothpaste on them if you want to get your pup used to having his or her teeth brushed.
- They’re really easy to clean. You can just rinse them with water or even put them in the dishwasher.
- If your dog chews a lot and is a bit of an aggressive chewer, this toy isn’t recommended for him or her.
- People who purchased this chew toy said that it was smaller than they expected.
- Some people who have purchased this chew toy have reported that it’s really durable.
- It contains both soft and hard materials that provide relief to your dog.
- You can get this toy in three different sizes: small (4 inches in length), medium (5 inches in length), and large (6 inches in length).
This chew toy will keep your teething pooch much happier and less stressed, while also ensuring better oral health so it’s one of the best teething toys for puppies.
Best Squeaky Toys for Golden Retriever Puppies: BarkBox Dog Squeak Toys
Who doesn’t love a squeaky toy?
This one is fantastic because it keeps your pup engaged with sight and sound. Here’s what to know about it.
- Two-in-one toy
- Meant to be destroyed
- Squeaker toy included
- This squeaky toy is called Consuela the Cactus. It’s a cute, plush cactus toy that contains stuffing.
- It’s said to be perfect for squeaking and even shredding, because it’s designed to be destroyed by your pet! This is great for dogs who want to tear into their toys because now you won’t have to worry about trying to prevent your dog from biting and chewing their toys too much.
- It has a squeaker inside it to keep your golden retriever amused.
- It’s non-toxic.
- When your pup removes the smiley face layer of the toy, it reveals a sad-face interior! The squeaker inside the toy is a rubber spikey ball, which makes this a two-in-one toy.
- It’s great for dogs who love to tug and pull their toys. This plush toy has floppy, spikey arms that will lead to hours of endless fun. It’s perfect for preventing your golden retriever from feeling bored.
- It’s got reinforced stitching that makes it strong and durable.
- Pet owners who purchased this for their dogs reported that it wasn’t as durable as they had hoped – this is not for very aggressive chewers!
- While the company states that the toy is non-toxic, not much else is said about what makes the toy non-toxic. It would have been good to know this especially because your dog will be ripping this toy apart.
- This toy has been designed to be ideal for medium-to-large dogs.
This squeaky toy will keep your cute puppy entertained, and it looks adorable too. it’s two toys in one so it’s value for money.
Best Plush Toys for Golden Retriever Puppies: ZippyPaws Woodland Friends Burrow
Be careful of cuteness overload with this toy! It’s one of the best and most beautiful soft toys for puppies, sure to keep your golden retriever puppy entertained for hours at a time. Let’s check it out in more detail.
- 3 squeaky chipmunk toys
- Great for all dog sizes
- This is an interactive plush toy that’s designed in the shape of a log with three squeaky chipmunk toys included. The log has holes in it for the chipmunks, so your dog can try to get them.
- This is a fantastic toy to play with your dog because you can hide the chipmunks and let your dog try to put his nose inside the log and pull out the toys.
- It’s versatile because you can put other toys in the log for your dog to find and play with.
- It’s perfect for both big and small dogs, as it’s highly durable and has dimensions of 14 x 6 x 6 inches.
- Some people have reported that this toy isn’t very challenging for their dogs. It’s really more of a fun toy that they can play with. If you’re looking for a more mentally stimulating toy, you should consider purchasing others that we’ve featured on this list of the best dog toys for puppies.
- As with other dog toys we’ve featured in these reviews, some people have reported that their dogs ripped this toy within mere hours. If your dog’s a very aggressive chewer, then this toy might not be the best one to purchase.
- This plush toy can be washed in the washing machine for the ultimate convenience.
This is one of the best plush toys for golden retriever puppies. Not just cute, it will be fun for your golden retriever to play with during energetic hours.
Golden Retriever Puppy Toys FAQ
Now that we’ve looked at five of the best toys for golden retriever puppies, let’s check out some questions you might have about dog toys and how to choose the best ones for your precious pooch.
What do golden retrievers like to play with?
Golden retrievers are very playful and as their parent you know that you can usually find them with something in their mouths!
These dogs love a range of toys, such as sticks or balls. When it comes to toys you can buy for your puppies, it’s worth bearing in mind that golden retrievers will love to play with plush toys.
These dogs love to bite and chew, so soft toys they can tug and pull will appeal to them – and prevent them from going hunting for other items around the house that they can destroy.
Since your golden retriever is highly active, he or she can become bored easily. This means you should purchase puzzle toys for them to keep them mentally stimulated.
A great example of a puzzle toy is the Nina Ottosson puzzle that we featured in our buying guide. Puzzle toys are also great for puppies because they help them to develop skills.
How many toys should a puppy have?
While you might think that the motto “the more the merrier!” applies to toys for your dog, it’s worth bearing in mind that you don’t have to purchase a whole bunch of toys for your puppies at once, even though it is tempting to do so. Your puppy will only be able to play with one or two toys at a time.
Make sure that you keep one or two toys around so that your puppy can play with them to prevent them from getting bored, and if you have more toys in the house keep them stashed away. This enables you to remove some old toys and replace them with new ones at a later stage to keep your puppy engaged.
When purchasing toys for your puppies, it’s worth buying toys that your puppy needs, such as chew toys if he is teething, so that you don’t overwhelm your puppy with a lot of toys that don’t get played with.
It’s also good to have different types of toys. If you already have chew toys at home, for example, don’t buy more. Instead, think about other types of toys, like puzzles and plush toys, to keep things interesting.
Finally, think about what your puppy loves most of all. If his eyes light up when he gets to tug and bite rope, buy him a rope toy. On the other hand, if he seems to be in his element when he has a new plush toy to play with, then that is a great option for your pet.
At what age do puppies teeth?
Your golden retriever puppy will start to teeth around the age of three weeks. When he or she reaches the six-week milestone, all of their deciduous teeth will have come out of their gums.
While it can be quite stressful when your puppy goes through the teething process, it usually ends for good when your puppy gets to the age of six months. This is the time when his or her adult teeth will have come through.
Since teething can be painful and uncomfortable for your puppy, you need to ensure you give him or her chew toys for teething puppies
that will keep them entertained, distracted, and provide much-needed relief.
You love spending time with your gorgeous golden retriever puppy, but set aside more time to play!
With the five toys for retriever puppies that we’ve featured in this buying guide, you’ll be just as excited as your pup to have more playtime on a regular basis.
And, if it happens that your puppy is left alone for a while, these toys will also give him or her something fun to do while enriching their skills. Playtime is essential to keep your dog happy and healthy!