When you need to take your golden retriever for a walk to the park, you might think a collar is fine to use.
But it’s actually better to buy a harness.
What are the benefits of dog harnesses?
Harnesses prevent dogs from getting tangled in leashes, while also reducing strain on their neck and back.
With that in mind, let’s check out the best harness for golden retriever 2020, along with four alternatives. Make walking your dog so much more enjoyable for both of you!
Best Harness for Golden Retriever – Reviews & Buying guide for 2020
Overall Winner: rabbitgoo Dog Harness
- Breathable mesh
- Two leash attachment rings
- Top handle
- A harness is no good if your dog’s uncomfortable. This rabbitgoo harness has breathable air mesh to make your dog feel more comfortable when wearing it.
- It comes with two leash attachment rings. These are a chest leash and back leash attachments.
- There are important benefits to both: the chest leash has a no-pull design, and it’s perfect for training your dog to wear a leash or harness.
- The back leash has a top handle so you can quickly control your dog, such as if you’re walking or jogging together and you dog tries to run into the road.
- The buckles secure the harness but are also really easy to take off.
- You won’t have to worry about your dog feeling pain or discomfort in this harness, thanks to how it contains four adjustable straps around the dog’s body.
- The harness contains reflective threads so you and your dog will be visible when jogging at dawn or dusk.
- Some people who have purchased this harness for their dog have reported that the extra-large size is a little smaller than they expected.
- Others have noted that the straps need to be checked and tightened regularly as they do become loose over time. This is very important to do so that you prevent accidents from happening.
- This dog harness comes in four sizes: small, medium, large, and extra-large, so you’re sure to find one for your golden retriever no matter what his or her growth stage.
- It comes in nine stunning colors.
This harness will help your daily walks with Fido much more enjoyable and prevent your dog from always trying to walk you!
Runner Up: Eagloo Dog Harness
If you want a strong and comfortable harness that comes with some nifty extra features, this one by Eagloo is the one to check out! Let’s see what it has to offer.
- Two zinc-alloy rings
- Seatbelt handle
- Breathable mesh lining
- This dog harness has two rings that are on the dog’s chest and back. They serve different purposes: the chest ring is ideal for preventing your dog from pulling, while the back ring is great for daily walks with your dog because it prevents putting stress on your dog’s neck.
- The back clip has an anti-choke feature, while the chest clip has a no-pull feature, so both are highly important and useful.
- This harness contains nylon webbing with reflective material so that your dog is more visible when you’re out later in the day.
- It comes with a handle on the back. This enables you to put your seatbelt through it so that you can keep your dog safe in the car!
- The harness contains a breathable mesh lining with soft sponge padding. This makes it much more comfortable for your dog while still keeping him protected.
- The manufacturer states that this harness isn’t chew-proof, so make sure your dog can’t get at it!
- Some people who have purchased this product have reported that it contains less reflective material than they were hoping to have and if you have a dog with long fur this can hide the reflective material from view.
- You want to be able to quickly remove the harness if need be, and this product ensures you can because it has quick-snap buckles.
- The straps of the harness can be adjusted easily so you can get the perfect fit for your dog without a fuss.
This harness is comfortable and safe for your dog to wear, and it also has the bonus of being able to be used when you’re in the car with your dog.
Best No Pull Harness For Golden Retrievers: rabbitgoo Dog Harness No Pull
If your golden retriever always wants to pull you for a walk or is an escape artist that tries to get out of their harness, this is the best no-pull harness that will keep them more secure.
- Quick-release buckles
- Anti-pull front ring
- 4 adjustable straps
- This overhead harness is easy to put on and remove, thanks to its quick-release buckles.
- It has an anti-pulling front ring. This makes it the best golden retriever no pull harness as it helps to redirect your dog’s forward pulling motion to make walking your dog more comfortable.
- It has a top handle for extra control, like if your dog sees a cat and wants to chase after it. Just use the handle and prevent a disaster from happening.
- The harness has four adjustable straps that are put around the dog’s body for greater support. These include two chest straps and two neck straps.
- It contains soft cushion padding that feels comfortable and protects your dog’s skin.
- It has reflective strips to keep your dog visible in poor lighting conditions.
- This harness only comes in buffalo plaid (red and black).
- The harness has to be put over the dog’s head, which might be difficult to do if your dog gets nervous or jumps around while you’re trying to put the harness on.
- This harness is made from durable nylon oxford, so it will have a long lifespan.
- It’s made out of breathable mesh to keep your dog cool. Perfect for those walks on hot summer days!
This harness will look stylish on your golden retriever and has many benefits so you can stop using harmful leashes when taking your dog for a walk.
Best Harness For Golden Retriever Puppy: Copatchy No Pull Adjustable Dog Harness
It’s a good idea to get your golden retriever used to wearing a harness from when he or she is a puppy. But it’s even more important to ensure the harness is comfortable. Here’s what to know about it.
- Sponge padding
- Neck and back clips
- Free replacements
- This harness is great for puppies because it has an anti-pull feature that prevents putting stress on your dog’s neck. It also prevents choking so that your puppy won’t associate wearing a harness with discomfort.
- The harness contains sponge padding so that it’s more comfortable.
- It contains clips that are placed on your dog’s chest and neck. This ensures that your harness can be easily put on and removed.
- The harness has an extra handle on top, which makes it even easier to control your dog when taking him or her for a walk.
- The harness contains a breathable mess material so that your dog can feel protected but also comfortable to move around and have fun.
- Some people who have purchased this harness have stated that it isn’t as durable as it should be, with reports of the harness’s fabric breaking.
- It’s more expensive than some adult dog harnesses.
- It’s both lightweight and durable.
- The company offers free replacements if you experience sizing issues.
- The harness comes in five colors.
- It has a reflective pattern on it to keep your puppy even safer when you walk him or her at night.
This harness for golden retriever puppies will ensure that your puppy can enjoy him/herself in the park while being protected from danger or running too far away from you.
Runner Up: BARKBAY No Pull Dog Harness
Your puppy wants to be able to run around and have fun, without being restricted. That’s why this harness by Barkbay is worth checking out.
- No-pull ring
- This is a no-pull harness that’s made out of light but durable nylon.
- It contains anti-chafe padding. This makes it super-comfortable for your puppy to engage in a variety of activities without feeling uncomfortable.
- The anti-chafe padding also enables weight to be distributed evenly on your puppy’s body.
- It has a no-pull ring to help you train your puppy on the harness.
- It also has a D-ring on the back of the harness so that you can use the harness for those nice, slow walks.
- It has an adjustable strap that’s comfortable and secure, with four points of adjustment.
- People have reported that the harness’s buckles snap easily.
- Others have said that adjusting the harness’s straps isn’t that easy to do, which can prove even more trying if you have an impatient or fidgety dog.
- This harness comes in 10 beautiful colors and patterns to make it stylish for your pooch.
- It contains ultra-reflective strips to make your dog as visible as possible.
- It has a top handle that’s easy to lift so that you can control your pup when danger strikes.
This colorful harness has lots of features to keep your pup safe and happy, which makes it the best dog harness for golden retriever puppies.
Harness for Golden Retriever FAQ
If you want to purchase a harness for your golden retriever, it’s good to know how to find the best one. Although we’ve featured five of the best ones for golden retrievers, let’s answer some common questions related to harnesses.
Should golden retrievers wear a harness?
Although you might not think that your golden retriever will need a harness, it’s worth rethinking your decision. Golden retrievers are lively and athletic dogs that will crave joining you on your morning jogs. But, that means that you will need to put a harness on them so that you can control them when required.
For example, if you’re running along a busy road or you want to deter your dog from chasing after other pets.
Since golden retrievers can be quite large, you also don’t want to end up feeling like your dog is taking you for a walk! This can result in your relaxing morning walk becoming a stressful event.
What’s great about giving your golden retriever a harness is that it’s very comfortable, so if you have to pull your dog away from something, it won’t hurt them. This is because harnesses wrap around your dog’s body.
The best harness for walking a golden retriever dogs will be very comfortable, usually made with soft, padded and/or breathable mesh material, but it’s also extremely secure so you don’t have to worry about your dog being hurt or injured.
What size harness should I get for a golden retriever puppy?
When purchasing a harness for your golden retriever puppy, it can be difficult to know what size you should buy. This is especially the case when you’re purchasing puppy harnesses online.
Before you go ahead and purchase your puppy’s harness, it’s important to measure your puppy’s chest and neck sizes. Generally, though, your golden retriever puppy will usually require a harness that’s a small or medium size, but this will also depend on their weight. If you have an adult golden retriever, you’ll need a large or extra-large size.
It also helps to choose a harness that is adjustable so that you can ensure that you get the best fit for your dog. Since your puppy will be growing really quickly, it’s best to use an adjustable harness so you won’t have to replace it with something else after a short amount of time.
Which is better for a golden retriever harness or collar?
If you have a collar for your golden retriever, you might wonder if you can just use this when taking your dog out for a walk. But there are various dangers that are associated with collars. These include the following:
- Neck injuries. When your dog wears a collar and pulls on it, it can cause him or her to suffer neck trauma.
- Eye and ear injuries. While you might not think that your dog can get eye and ear injuries from wearing a collar, this can happen because of the pressure involved when you pull your dog on a collar.
- Spinal cord injury. The sudden jerks that can occur when your dog is wearing a collar can lead to whiplash as well as damage to the spine.
A harness is much gentler on a dog because of how it spreads pressure over a larger area of the dog’s body. This helps to prevent pressure from being placed on the dog’s neck or back.
In addition, jerking movements that your dog might experience on a collar are reduced with a harness because you’ll have greater control when leading your dog on one.
This is because a harness serves to redirect the dog. By comparison, when a dog wears a collar, he will try to move forward, which adds to the pressure, and this can harm him in various ways.
If you have a golden retriever, a harness is a must-have item to buy. It not only helps to keep your dog safe when you’re out and about together, but it also works well if you’re training your dog.
In this article, we’ve featured five of the best golden retriever harnesses so you can find the one with the best features you want to keep your pooch safe but super-comfortable.
We’ve also featured some important questions related to harnesses for golden retrievers so you can choose the best one for your precious pooch. Whichever one you choose, those morning walks just became much more fun!